Becoming A Member / Training
Membership in Lowcountry CERT is open to any certified Community Emergency Response Team member from the Lowcountry of South Carolina.
In any kind of disaster, if you are not part of the solution, you become part of the problem. The government and first responders all warn us that in a major crisis, help may not be coming for hours, days or perhaps weeks. CERT (Community Emergency Response Training) is a nationwide program to train PEOPLE LIKE YOU to bridge the gap until professional help arrives. Lowcountry CERT is assisted by Emergency Management in Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester counties to encourage ALL Hazards preparedness within our communities. Generally, BASIC CERT classes are offered at no cost to residents of the respective counties.
To join LCERT you will need to do the following:
- Completely fill out and turn in our application
- Completely fill out and turn in our liability waiver form
- Turn in a copy of your CERT training certification and
- Turn in a SLED background check by doing it in the following manner:
- Must request criminal records checks by mail. There is no convenience fee for mail-in requests. Use a money order. Personal checks and cash will NOT be accepted. Send the Criminal Records Check Form (get form off their website), proper payment, a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and the following information : FULL NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, AND SOCIAL SECURITY to:
- SLED Records Department, PO Box 21398 Columbia SC 29221-1398.
- Ask for the criminal records check to be notarized or certified (you must specifically state that the results must be notarized and/or certified.)
- When you receive it LCERT will be asking to see a Valid ID as listed in our Policy and Procedures to confirm it is you on the paperwork you turn in.
For information on a class near you please contact us.